Wednesday, April 9, 2008

An odd idea

Well, i have returned to the world of study after a lovely two weeks in the sun, which was badly needed. I feel refreshed and bushy tailed - not for essays and studies however but for writing.

No, this doesn't mean updates for my fanfics, but actually ideas for stories. Oddly i actually have a book in my mind which will be feasible for me to do. Strangely its going to be non fiction. I have to start somewhere and why not write a book which i could have used!! I know enough about the area to write about and research it. The question is though 'will it be marketable to be published' so now i wonder should i contact publisher/agent with the idea and then proceed with some guidance (e.g. we want 100, 000 words) or just write it and see how it goes?
I more than likely need to research this, and then decide.
However as much as i can't 'focus' i will need to as my exams are in less than a month *shudder* and i REALLY need to cop on and pull up my grades *sigh*
But what next year? i have applied for some MA and research (though the liklihood of getting anything is quite slim) so what then? I plan on staying near college, so perhaps a job there?

I know that i need a 'day' job but i guess its difficult when a 'day' job in psychology is a day/night job as its so intense.
I can't wait for the end of June. I'll be finished my holidays and can finally get down to writing and planning this. Its so annoying to have to wait and do other things when i just want to get this project started and running.
Hopefully it won't be another flash in the pan of an idea, but the basis for this non fiction book is central to my life. I think i would regret it if i never tried to write it, even if its never published!

i also had some thoughts on a historical fiction idea. again, not sure if it would be marketable or how i would approach it. I barely even have a plot or idea, just a timeframe, a place, and a local legend. It is problematic as the actually information on these people is very limited and biased by conguerers. So perhaps use it for the basis of a fictional society in a fantasy.
I think though at the moment i will concentrate:
  1. essays
  2. exams
  3. holidays
  4. nonfiction book
  5. poetry/short story competitions
I think my next step after submitting the nonfiction book etc is to invest in going to creative writing courses in Dublin, during the new academic year. i think myself that my writing could benefit from some sort of feedback and i think i'll need the summer to come up with some sort of idea of where i want to go with myself and my writing.

Epona

No comments: